Home Iowa Act Early What do I do if I'm concerned?

What do I do if I'm concerned?

If you are concerned...

Talk to your child’s healthcare provider.

Remember that YOU know your child best as a parent or caregiver.

  • Use a milestone checklist to track your child’s progress through the Learn the Developmental Milestones page. Keep notes and write down questions you have. Show these to the healthcare provider- explain which milestones your child has reached and the others that might be concerning to you. 
  • Do not be afraid to ask your healthcare provider about developmental screening. These screenings happen when your healthcare provider asks you to complete a formal checklist or questionnaire 

Before you leave the healthcare provider, make sure that you understand what the healthcare provider has said and what to do next.

  • Ask for clarification if you need it.
  • Take notes.
  • Make sure all of your questions have been answered.
  • Ask about information for your local early intervention program.
  • Call your healthcare provider if you have any additional questions after you get home.
  • Take the steps the healthcare provider has told you and follow up with the healthcare provider about how everything went.
Contact the Iowa Regional Autism Assistance Program (RAP) for support and assistance at any stage. Call  1-866-219-9119, ext. 2, email Iowa-RAP@uiowa.edu or visit RAP’s website here.